Monday, January 23, 2012

Underworld: Awakening (From K)

Went to see this fourth installment in the Underworld series on Friday night.  The more removed I am from the viewing the more disappointed I am in the movie.  The story had so much potential, humans versus vampires and lycans, and yet it let me down.

The opening was awesome, typical edge of your seat Underworld and Kate Beckinsale action and also let the common viewer know what's been going on since the beginning.  From there, the story starts to unravel.  It's as if the writers chose to watch the last three movies and take only the bits and pieces of the myth and lore of the vampires and lycans that they bothered to pay attention to.  A quarter of the movie contradicted itself and/or earlier Underworld movies, which, I found tiresome.  If you're going to call it a series, make sure it has continuity.

The other problem that I had with the movie is that half the time I had a hard time concentrating on it because I was too busy comparing Awakening to the Resident Evil movies.  There were many scenes from Awakening that echoed scenes from one or another of the Resident Evils installments and I found it distracting.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie (but it had so much more potential)- would NOT suggest 3D (wasn't bad, just not worth the money at all) if you love the Underworld series, go ahead and see in in theatre, but if you just enjoy the series, rent it/borrow it.

Final Verdict - C+

My husband is going to write his own review as well, so you can get an opinion from another source.

No comments:

Post a Comment