Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Presence - Heather Graham

I've read Heather Graham's books for a few years.  I'm not sure which book of hers I started with, but I am sure it was one of her Adam Harrison books that hooked me.  Since then I've read her normal along with her paranormal "romantic-suspense" genre books.

I don't actually read Heather Graham because I want to be left guessing who did it, or to know what twist is going to come up next.  If I want that, I'll read Lisa Jackson or Iris Johansen or Kay Hooper (if Kay Hooper ever comes out with a new book I could read, I've read all of hers at least four times, and it looks like she might have a new Bishop  novel coming out in July).  I read Heather Graham because I want a fun, fast paranormal romance/suspense. 

The Presence is a typical Heather Graham, the prologue or first chapter has a great hook, especially the ones with the paranormal bent, and then it continues from there.  It's also a typical Heather Graham in that she plays with giving just information about nearly every character that the reader is left thinking that every character could be "the bad guy."  Heather Graham does this in each of her books though, so I expect it, and almost might be disappointed if she didn't, but then it is a tad overplayed.

I enjoyed the characters and I enjoyed both stories (one past and one "real time").  The only thing I didn't like - again - for a fast read - wasn't a part of the story at all - it was typography.  For some insane reason, and I'm not sure it was in all the books, but my book had some of the "real time" story switch in and out of italics, with no rhyme or reason.  Every time the italics came up it totally threw me out of the story, and that was often.  If the italics had been used for the "past" and normal type for the "real time" okay, that's normal.  Otherwise, it was a decent blend of past and present.  No other Heather Graham books do this, that I'm aware of.

Even as a Heather Graham book I'd only rate it a 5+ but like I said I did enjoy the story, and I didn't feel like I was wasting my time.  I knew what I was getting into, see?
~

No comments:

Post a Comment