Sunday, March 11, 2012

Safe House - K


Safe House – It’s sad when I like the last (and preview) track (No Church in the Wild – Kayne West ft. Frank Ocean & Jay-Z) better than I like the movie itself, Safe House, especially when said movie features Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds.  

Matt Weston is played by Ryan Reynolds, (they should have just said Michael Westen ala Burn Notice) and Tobin Frost is played by Denzel Washington. Really, the whole movie is like an episode of Burn Notice gone wrong, or almost a prequel to how Michael the boring "housekeeper" became Michael the bad ass spy.


In the heat of the moment, during the movie, I enjoyed the action, it captured my attention, a bit.  Yet the further I get away from the movie, the less I like it and the more I feel like I completely wasted my (husband's) money.  In the beginning, Frost is calm, cool, collected and has five plans for every one thing that could go wrong.  Later, everything spirals out of control and there are times where I'm feeling that Frost's spycraft and mind games are quite stale.  

Without spoilers, the review ends here - before I watched this movie, I was wondering if perhaps Denzel Washington would bring Ryan Reynolds in the acting fold, from a quippy, comic, solid actor to the something better that no one can put their finger on.  After the movie, I was left with the feeling that in Safe House, Ryan Reynolds is the better actor, Matt Weston is the more real character.  Better movies: Green Zone, Body of Lies, the Bourne movies.  Skip Safe House.  

********************BRIDGE TO SPOILER ALERT***************************

Some stuff that bothered me about the movie (small and large) and all spoiler(y) -
#1 - Weston's extraneous girlfriend...
#2. How did Weston find Frost after Frost got away?  Okay, so he logged into the database searching for....good document forgers?  If Frost was such a great agent, how could have been found so easily, AND unprepared.
#3. The bad guy being the bad guy was too predictable.  
#4. WHY does Denzel always have to die lately???  The plot would have been perfect if it was Weston who died or if Frost really was a bad, bad guy.

Now just waiting for the new Bourne Movie - hope that's not as disappointing.


No comments:

Post a Comment