Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Midnight in Paris

For anyone with an English degree, this movie will be your wet dream. 


I always prefer a Woody Allen film without Woody Allen acting in the film. This movie was no different. Owen Wilson, playing the “Woody Allen” character was a good choice. It’s much more believable seeing Owen Wilson engaged to Rachel McAdams, than it would be for Woody Allen (This is probably why I love ‘Deconstructing Harry’ so much, multiple characters playing the Woody Allen alter ego role).
The film starts with Gil (Owen Wilson) in Paris with his fiancée, Inez (Rachel McAdams). Gil is a successful Hollywood script writer and wants to branch out by writing a novel. Gil finds himself fascinated with the fantasy of Paris. You quickly see the negative chemistry between the couple and side with Gil. The movie really takes off after Gil decides not to go out dancing with Inez and her friends; instead he goes on a midnight-drunk-walk through Paris. He finds himself in a fantasy world in what he considers the Glory Days of Art & Literature.
I may be biased, but I rarely enjoyed when Gil went to his 1920’s fantasy world. Anyone who loves Hemmingway, Picasso or 1920’s Paris will love this movie; I am probably too much of a philistine to get into this part of the movie. I found myself bored and waiting impatiently ‘till we got back to the real world. The movie is full with nostalgia and inside jokes to famous artists. My favorite scenes are between Rachel McAdams and Owen Wilson. Her character has almost no redeeming qualities. She does a great job of forcing the audience to hate her. The film had an interesting plot, but in the end… it was just another typical Woody Allen film, filled with neurotic behavior and always a reference to prescription medicine. This movie gets recommended to my pretentious/hipsters Portland friends (That’s you, Simon Milliman).

Director: Woody Allen
Writer: Woody Allen
Stars: Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams and Kathy Bates

3 comments:

  1. Clinton~ why might you be biased toward Paris in the 1920’s? Did you enjoy the movie or was it a waste of your time? Lastly, does the movie strike you as a “film” ripe for Portlanders?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant "Biased" as I really don't care for Hemmingway and what-not. Why did you delete your old post?! I liked what you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm writing a companion to your review that will focus on a few different aspects.

    ReplyDelete